The European Union is seeking to make it easier for police and law enforcement agencies to retrieve electronic evidence from US tech firms, including directly from cloud storage.
Thanks to camera phones and social media, the deadly consequences of U.S. military operations are indeed being recorded, shared, and watched around the world on an unprecedented scale. But while civilian deaths are regularly reported in local media outlets in the Middle East, they are seldom reported in detail by international media.
The move comes after its international director, Muhammad Rabbani, a UK citizen, was arrested at Heathrow airport in November for refusing to hand over passwords. Rabbani, 35, has been detained at least 20 times over the past decade when entering the UK, under schedule 7 of terrorism legislation that provides broad search powers, but this was the first time he had been arrested.
WikiLeaks tweeted last week that Assange would agree to US extradition if Obama granted Manning clemency. Asked during a web broadcast on Thursday if he would now leave the embassy, Assange said: “I stand by everything I said, including the offer to go to the United States if Chelsea Manning’s sentence was commuted.”
At the time of her revelations, she was the most important whistleblower since Daniel Ellsberg. Upon hearing the news today, Ellsberg said this: “Once in a while, someone does what they ought to do. Some go to prison for it, for seven years; some accept exile for life. But sometimes even a president does it. And today, it was Obama.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Maria Zakharova, a foreign ministry spokeswoman, wrote on Facebook that Snowden’s right to stay had recently been extended “by a couple of years”. Her post came in response to a suggestion from the former acting CIA director Michael Morell that Vladimir Putin might hand over Snowden to the US, despite there being no extradition treaty between the countries.
The White House insisted on Tuesday that Assange’s offer to submit to extradition if Obama “grants Manning clemency” did not influence the president’s action.
Chelsea Manning, the army soldier who leaked state secrets in 2010 and has been imprisoned longer than any other official leaker in US history, has called on President Obama to show her clemency in the final days of his presidency, saying that this amounts to her last chance for freedom “for a very long time”.
In an executive order accompanied by a series of official statements, US President Barack Obama has sharply escalated the campaign against Russia, based on unsubstantiated claims of Russian government hacking of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the Hillary Clinton campaign in the presidential election.
La Casa Blanca aprobó severas medidas para castigar a Moscú por sus supuestos intentos de influir en las elecciones presidenciales de noviembre pasado. Donald Trump dijo que el país debe “ocuparse de cosas más grandes y mejores”, aunque anunció que se reunirá la próxima semana con los jefes de inteligencia para informarse sobre el caso.
U.S. Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning began a hunger strike in military prison Friday, her attorneys confirmed.
Laborde insistió en la importancia de avanzar en el intercambio de información entre los servicios de inteligencia de los gobiernos para acelerar lo más posible la detección de individuos potencialmente peligrosos.En esa misma línea, abogó por profundizar los lazos entre la comunidad internacional y las grandes empresas tecnológicas para “ganar la batalla de la información y la interconexión”.
En 2010, el ejército estadounidense detuvo a una de sus analistas de inteligencia por filtrar documentos clasificados sobre las guerras de Irak y Afganistán a Wikileaks; hoy cumple una condena de 35 años de prisión. “Me llevaron a un solitario agujero negro de confinamiento. Dos semanas después empecé a pensar en suicidarme”, recuerda.
Aquellas personas o grupos que participen en ataques cibernéticos contra Estados Unidos podrán ser sancionadas del mismo modo que lo son quienes colaboran con la injerencia rusa en Ucrania o con el régimen sirio. En un reflejo de su creciente preocupación por las amenazas virtuales, la Casa Blanca incorporó este miércoles la ciberseguridad a la diplomacia de sanciones que aplica en todo el mundo.
El presidente Barack Obama aprobó una orden ejecutiva, que no requiere del voto del Congreso, que permite por primera vez imponer penalizaciones a los individuos o grupos ubicados fuera de EE UU que perpetren ataques o espionajes cibernéticos “maliciosos” que supongan una “amenaza significativa” a la seguridad nacional, la política exterior, la economía o la estabilidad financiera de la primera potencia mundial.
Esas actividades podrán ser consideradas a partir de ahora una “emergencia nacional”, basándose en una ley de 1977. El Departamento del Tesoro podrá congelar los activos de esas personas o entidades en EE UU e impedir determinadas transacciones financieras con compañías estadounidenses, siguiendo el mismo patrón que en las sanciones diplomáticas convencionales.
Wife of Raif Badawi says he may not be able to withstand more punishment as second installment of 1,000-lash sentence nears
Raif Badawi, the Saudi liberal convicted of publishing a blog, has been told he will again be flogged 50 times on Friday – the second part of his 1,000-lash sentence which also includes a 10-year jail term.
The US, Britain and other western governments had all called for the punishment to be dropped but there has been no sign of any diplomatic action against Riyadh. Amnesty International on Wednesday urged the UK government to challenge Saudi Arabia, which has ignored all protests over the case.
Badawi will be given 50 more lashes outside a mosque in his home city of Jeddah unless a Saudi prison doctor determines he is not yet fit to face the punishment owing to injuries sustained last Friday. If nothing changes, he will be flogged every Friday for the next 19 weeks.
US appears powerless to bring Chinese soldier hackers to justice.
China’s military broke into Pentagon contractors’ computer networks at least 50 times—hacks that threaten “to erode US military technical superiority,” according to a federal investigation.
The Senate Arms Services Committee found that nearly two dozen intrusions were of the well-orchestrated “advanced persistent threat” variety. The yearlong probe [PDF] blamed the Chinese government for hacks targeting civilian transportation companies that the US military employs for the movement of troops and equipment. According to the investigation, hackers from the People’s Liberation Army started in 2012 and put malware onto an airline’s computers, stealing computer codes, e-mail, documents, and user accounts from firms the government declined to name.
“These peacetime intrusions into the networks of key defense contractors are more evidence of China’s aggressive actions in cyberspace,” said committee chairman Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.)
The latest developments follow a June report from US security firm CrowdStrike that detailed allegations of hacking by the People’s Liberation Army into aerospace, satellite, and defense companies in Europe, Japan, and the US. What’s more, Attorney General Eric Holder said in May that “enough is enough” at a news conference when he announced the indictment of five Chinese military personnel accused of hacking into major US corporations and stealing trade secrets.
While Holder promised to bring the five to the US for trial, the Associated Press reported Wednesday that the defendants “are believed to be living freely” in China. The targeted companies, ranging from Alcoa to Westinghouse, were allegedly attacked between 2006 to 2014, and China got away with trade secrets connected to everything from nuclear to renewable energy, according to the indictment.
With depressing frequency in this summer of diverse horrors, we hear tales of desperate human misery, suffering and depravity – and because we live now in an era where virtually every phone is a globally connected camera, we are confronted with graphic evidence of tragedy.
The footage of the apparent beheading (to refer to the atrocity as an execution serves only to lend a veneer of dignity to barbarism) of the US photojournalist James Foley at the hands of a British Isis extremist has raised particularly strong feelings.
Social networks are banning users who share the footage. Newspapers are facing opprobrium for the choices they make in showing stills or parts of the video. Others, of course, will seek out the video after seeing the row, or else post it around the internet in a juvenile form of the free speech argument.
Before considering the rights and wrongs of the position, there is one fact we should face: we are presented with images of grotesque violence on a daily basis. Last month the New York Times ran on its front page the dead and broken body of a Palestinian child.
Like Foley, that child was someone’s son, someone’s brother, someone’s friend, and in a connected world there is just as much chance his family saw the photo and its spread as Foley’s will see the latest awful images of their loved one.
That photo raised little controversy in comparison to the use of images of Foley. Photos of groups of civilian men massacred by Isis across Iraq and Syria – widely shared on social media and used by publications across the world – caused no outcry whatsoever.
It’s hard to look at that and not see a double standard: like many other courageous and talented people, Foley had chosen to travel to the region, and knew the risks that entailed. Others were killed simply fleeing their homes. In a strange and bitter irony, one of the duties of photographers such as Foley is documenting bloodshed in order to show the world.
To see an outcry for Foley’s video and not for others is to wonder whether we are disproportionately concerned over showing graphic deaths of white westerners – maybe even white journalists – and not others.
Nearly half of the people on the U.S. government’s widely shared database of terrorist suspects are not connected to any known terrorist group, according to classified government documents obtained by The Intercept.
Of the 680,000 people caught up in the government’s Terrorist Screening Database—a watchlist of “known or suspected terrorists” that is shared with local law enforcement agencies, private contractors, and foreign governments—more than 40 percent are described by the government as having “no recognized terrorist group affiliation.” That category—280,000 people—dwarfs the number of watchlisted people suspected of ties to al Qaeda, Hamas, and Hezbollah combined.
The documents, obtained from a source in the intelligence community, also reveal that the Obama Administration has presided over an unprecedented expansion of the terrorist screening system. Since taking office, Obama has boosted the number of people on the no fly list more than ten-fold, to an all-time high of 47,000—surpassing the number of people barred from flying under George W. Bush.
“If everything is terrorism, then nothing is terrorism,” says David Gomez, a former senior FBI special agent. The watchlisting system, he adds, is “revving out of control.”
The classified documents were prepared by the National Counterterrorism Center, the lead agency for tracking individuals with suspected links to international terrorism. Stamped “SECRET” and “NOFORN” (indicating they are not to be shared with foreign governments), they offer the most complete numerical picture of the watchlisting system to date. Among the revelations:
• The second-highest concentration of people designated as “known or suspected terrorists” by the government is in Dearborn, Mich.—a city of 96,000 that has the largest percentage of Arab-American residents in the country.
• The government adds names to its databases, or adds information on existing subjects, at a rate of 900 records each day.
• The CIA uses a previously unknown program, code-named Hydra, to secretly access databases maintained by foreign countries and extract data to add to the watchlists.
jueves, 18 de julio de 2013
El asalto de la red a la calle ya está organizado.Publicado el 18.7.2013, última edición 21.7.2013
El Mando Conjunto de CiberDefensa de las Fuerzas Armadas (MCCD) se estrenará el próximo 27 de septiembre, así lo anunció ayer el comandante jefe del Mando Conjunto de Ciberdefensa, el general del Ejército del Aire Carlos Gómez López de Medina.
Contará con una plantilla de 70 personas, de las cuales 49 serán militares y 21 civiles. Actualmente, su personal se cifra en 19 personas, teniendo que elevarse la plantilla en los siguientes dos meses.
Entre los cometidos [oficiales] del Mando de Ciberdefensa se encuentran garantizar el libre acceso al ciberespacio con el fin de cumplir las misiones asignadas a las Fuerzas Armadas; ejercer la respuesta ante amenazas o agresiones que puedan afectar a la Defensa Nacional y obtener, analizar y explotar la información sobre ciberataques e incidentes en las redes y sistemas de su responsabilidad. infodefensa
El Mando de Ciberdefensa creado oficialmente por el Ministerio de Defensa en el mes de febrero será un órgano perteneciente al Estado Mayor de la Defensa, integrado en la estructura operativa de las Fuerzas Armadas. Tendrá su cuartel en Retamares (Pozuelo de alarcón, Madrid) bajo las órdenes del jefe del Estado Mayor de la Defensa (Jemad) el almirante Fernando García Sánchez.